birding-aus

backyard birds

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: backyard birds
From: "Birding Services Brisbane" <>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 10:38:53 +1000
Morning all

Beautiful autumn day here in Nundah, 6 km from the centre of Brisbane but still very dry as no wet season.  This morning had 22 Sulphur-crested Cockatoos in the pecan tree which hangs over our fence only metres from our deck.  Our Mugga ironbark (Euc. sideroxylon) at the other end of the deck is flowering for the first time and plenty of Rainbow and Scaly-breasted Lorikeets, Noisy Miners and Brown Honeyeaters.  No Regent Honeyeaters which is a real bummer!!  Must speak to David Geering about this.  On Friday morning a stroll in the park behind us gave us 42 species in an hour or so.  Grey Fantails back with a vengeance and lots of Striated Pardalote activity.  120+ Little Corellas flew over and a Brown Goshawk was upsetting the locals.  Heave heard Little Lorikeets the last few mornings as a number of the large Eucs (tereticornis) are starting to flower.  Interestingly these local trees have pink blossoms instead of the usual creamy white.

Cheers

Roy

birding tours and accommodation