birding-aus

First Trip to Werribee Treatment Plant!

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: First Trip to Werribee Treatment Plant!
From: "Karen Pearson" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:33:41 +1000
I had a fantastic day yesterday (Sunday) out at Werribee with the Beginners Wader trip run by Joy Tansey and Birds Australia.  It was my much awaited first visit after hearing so much about it and I certainly wasn't let down.

LOTS of highlights for me.   10 years after seeing quite a few shot dead Freckle Ducks I finally get to see a much more pleasant and enjoyable live version!  A real treat and definitely how I'd prefer to see them !!!

My first Sea-Eagle soared over us as we left the bird-hide.  An amazing sight.    The Red-necked Avocets were stunning, as too were the Australasian Shovelers which are beautifully brighter than shown in the field guide.    Just seeing so many Pink-eared Ducks in the one spot was also a treat, there really seemed to be thousands, not to mention the many Musk Ducks. What funny things they are!

I had lots of help with identifying the terns and raptors that we saw throughout the day (White-winged Black Tern, Fairy Tern, Swamp Harrier, Black-shouldered Kite, Whistling Kite, Brown Falcon).

Some other birds seen were Black-tailed Godwit, Curlew Sandpiper, Red-kneed Dotterel, Double-banded Plover, Black-fronted Dotterel, Pied Oystercatcher, Great Egret, Pacific Heron, White-faced Heron and delightful Royal Spoonbills (great after only ever seen Yellow-billed).

The whole day was brilliant and informative and what a fantastic setting!!   All the birds looked bigger and brighter than ever before..... but that could have been because of the  great scopes that were very kindly on hand to use!!  I must get one of those..........

Rgds
Karen Pearson
Hampton Victoria