birding-aus

Declines in common species

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Declines in common species
From: "Peter Horler" <>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 08:49:07 +1000
Mick Todd wrote-

My point is that I don't think that there are many easy solutions out there.
We do need to develop some idea of how things work on an ecosystem level
while recognising that our knowledge won't be complete. However, we also
need to know how individual species cope with the environment around them as
a separate issue. I think this is especially the case with the rare species
which likely have very specific requirements that can only be discovered by
concerted effort directed at them alone. Conserving places won't always
conserve what's in them if the underlying problems are still present. So I
think we need both approaches. One that looks at a bigger picture- including
common species- and one that specifically targets the rare species.

I agree.
Our very limited knowledge of our ecosystems makes it very simple to make
gross mistakes, by conserving one species at the expense of others.
Humankind is equally limited in its knowledge of the birds themselves -
(most people don't belong to this list!) - so there is a danger that our
solutions create future problems.

Regards
Peter