birding-aus

Land clearing

Subject: Land clearing
From: Brian Patten <>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 21:24:58 +1000
I just returned from a 3 day trip to Carnarvon Nat Park (western
section), central Qld. I was very dismayed to see extensive land
clearing of native vegetation on a very large scale. Over large sections
of the Mt  Moffat to Mitchell Rd., mainly north of the Wombebank
junction, there appeared to be thousands of hectares of broadscale
dozing of mixed acacia, pine, eucalypt woodlands, much of it recent -
within days or a few weeks, judging by the green foliage still visible.
even more depressing was the paucity of birds each time I stopped (where
some bush remained) over a distance of about 200km. Very few birds were
apparent. the only species regularly seen in any numbers were noisy
minors, with an occasional crow, magpie or raven. I saw very few
woodland birds on that section, no robins, thornbills, babblers, or
gerygones for example. Also the next day I saw large areas of mulga and
brigalow woodland S.E. of Mitchell which had been recently cleared. The
whole scene reminded me of Lloyd Nielson's posting to B.aus of about 1
year ago. Although mine was a single observation it certainly appears
that the Qld Govts Land Clearing legislation is not working.Although it
is obviously too late to save much of this rapidly disappearing central
Queensland woodland habitat, I would encourage any of you motivated
enough to email or write to the Qld and Federal Govt ministers about
this evolving disaster ASAP. I also think Birds Australia should give
serious thought to acquiring a mulga and/or brigalow block while some
remain to be purchased, regards Brian Patten