birding-aus

Ha! Ha! Laughing Gull

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Ha! Ha! Laughing Gull
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 20:06:46 +1000
Denise Brown and myself decided to desert the Gold Coast for the day and
visit Bribie Island today.  The Laughing Gull was the main reason for the
trip.  While there, we met up with John Hadley and Warwick ?  (Sorry, I do
not remember Warwick's surname.) from the Lockyer and Brisbane Valleys.

Each pair birded separately but met several times during the day to exchange
notes.  We each covered the same areas at different times.  We covered from
Red Beach to the new development at the northern side of the bridge.  We
started just after 8 a.m. and finally quit about 1:30 to 2:00.  This
included a couple of stops at Scoopy's but you can still watch the jetty and
all the gulls flying by from the tables under the trees.

The results .........  zero, zilch, nothing.  Not one sign of the Ha! Ha!
Gull.  Some of the locals asked us if we were looking for the Gull.  Every
one of them told us that they had not seen it today.

Question:  Does anyone know if the Laughing Gull has been seen today or
during the last few days?  If so, where?

Another Question:  Has anyone checked the ocean beaches for this bird when
it has not been on the passage side of the island?  If not, why not?  We ran
out of time and energy.  All that walking in soft sand is not good for
someone who has been told not to go birding at all by his medical advisor.
What the hell would he know?

Terry Pacey