birding-aus

Wonga Pigeons on the Eildon/Warburton Road (Vic)

To: Brian Fleming <>
Subject: Wonga Pigeons on the Eildon/Warburton Road (Vic)
From: Merrilyn Serong <>
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 18:19:33 +1000
Hi Anthea
I have seen a few Wonga Pigeons in the past few years in wet forest in
Toolangi and Black Range State Forests and O'Shannassy Water Catchment area,
but these areas are to the west and south of the area you mention.  I
certainly don't see them very often and am always very pleased when I do.  I
probably only see about 2 per year and have been in the area hundreds of
times.  I was surprised to see one at the Tanglefoot car park in Toolangi
State Forest one day during summer.
I was very interested that you saw the man with the donkeys.  I saw him on
the Monda Track (Road 9) between Maroondah Catchment area and Toolangi State
Forest on the 22 March.  I immediately wanted to get some donkeys and do the
same thing myself!
Cheers,
Merrilyn