birding-aus

News From Nothern NSW

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: News From Nothern NSW
From: "Gordon Brook" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:27:06 +1100

News from Northern NSW - Woolgoolga & Coffs Harbour

Woolgoolga

For those passing through Woolgoolga on the Pacific Highway, there is a great birding spot known as the Woolgoolga Flora Reserve. It lies just a couple of kms West of the highway from the large round-about (Where the big log is). Unfortunately the tracks have been neglected and are over-grown but there is good news published in the Woolgoolga Advertiser this week.

The local Lions, Rotary and others are getting together with State Forests (land owner) to plan a restoration of the area and tracks. It is also hoped that a Friends of the Flora Reserve group can be established. I will keep you posted with progress.

I personally have seen Crested Shrike Tits, Wompoo Pigeons, Noisy Pitta, Logrunners and many more - I will try to obtain a full list for the area.

Coff Harbour

The Coffs Advocate newspaper has published an article about the decline of Mutton Birds on Mutton Bird Island in the harbour. There is a warning about the use of bright lights and fireworks in the area, disturbing the arrival of the birds in the evening.
The colony has suffered from both drought and heavy rain with an increase in the rat population causing problems as well.

Anyone interested in more details can contact:
Dr. Alan Lloyd, Ulitarra Conservation Society (02) 6656 1486

Best Wishes

Gordon
Ninox Binoculars & Telescopes

(02) 6649 1077