birding-aus

Etiquette on private property

Subject: Etiquette on private property
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:46:01 +1000
This has been given a fair airing on birding-aus in the past but it has
raised it's ugly head again.  What am I talking about - birdwatchers
trespassing on private property!  Although it is much more than likely
that the offenders are not on birding-aus it affects all of us.

Last Thursday while in the Capertee Valley one of the local landholders
related to me that he had recently discovered a small group of
birdwatchers on his property quite some distance from the road.  This
particular landholder is one that we have worked with for quite some time.
 I regularly access his place to search for Regents and monitor breeding
attempts and one of our largest revegetation sites (~ 40 ha) is on his
property.  Understandably though, he likes to know who is on his place and
when.

When confronted the birdwatchers made things worse by presenting
themselves as being with the Capertee Valley Regent Honeyeater Group. This
landholder is no fool and is aware that we always contact him prior to
entering his property.  I was quick to also point this out to him and
suggested that he make this clear to any of his neighbours should they
have problems with trespassers!

This incident got my blood up a bit.  Not only were these people doing the
wrong thing but they potentially jeopardised the great work that is going
on in the valley conserving woodland birds.

If you happen to be in the Capertee Valley please bear in mind that the
other side of the fence is someone's property.  Just as you wouldn't like
someone you didn't know wandering around your yard they are perfectly
justified  in not appreciating people wandering around theirs.

Glad that's off my chest.

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.