birding-aus

Lower Glenelg

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Lower Glenelg
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:08:53 +1100

I have just returned from the bunk-camp organised by BOCA at Nelson.  There were 30 keen birders and I enjoyed the lively exchange of opinions.  The final count was 127 birds ( my count 110) .

 My most memorable sighting was the 50+ brolga in a paddock north of Mt Gambier near Mil Lel  SA.

During a lunch stop near the kiosk at Nelson I was able to add the  Common Sandpiper to my ‘lifer’ list.  There were many Nankeen Night Herons all along the Glenelg River.  Near Port MacDonnell we spent time scanning waders on the rocks at low tide.  The Golden Plover and Ruddy Turnstones were difficult to find despite the Plovers advanced breeding plumage.

Near Piccaninnie Hole I added another two ‘lifers’ in 5 minutes, the Brush Bronzewing and a Beautiful Firetail. (My count is now 500!)

 At Pritchards’s Landing we saw a Rose Robin.

Near Princess Margaret Rose Caves at Dry Creek we watched   large groups of Yellow-tailed Cockatoos sorting out territorial boundaries or arranging a conference!.

 The honeyeaters we saw in various places were: Yellow-faced, Singing, White-plumed, White-naped, New Holland, Eastern Spinebill Red, Little and Spiny- Cheeked Wattlebirds.

On the river were usual Cormorants, Coot, Swamphen & Moorhen, Swan, Musk, Chestnut teal, Pacific Black , A. Shoveler, Pelican, White-faced and Great Heron,  Great Crested, Aust. & Hoary Headed  Grebe.

The raptors provoked the most discussion; Black-shouldered and Whistling Kite, Brown Goshawk, Collared Sparrowhawk, Wedge-tailed Eagle, Hobby and Kestrel were all seen, some added Peregrine to their list.

It was a great week in a very interesting part of Australia and I really appreciated the work the organisers had done to ensure excellent birding.

Shirley Cameron