birding-aus

my spotting scope

Subject: my spotting scope
From: Kim Sterelny <>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 00:06:13 -0800
I was surprised to here about the problem with the Swarovski. I have the 80HD too with that same zoom lens, and it is quite superb optically, and I have had no problems with the lens. I have had problems with using it as a big teleophoto lens, but that is because the quality of the T-rings to join my EOS camera to the Swarovski camera adaptor does not seem high. They begin my giving you a nice rigid jojn, and the photos are sharp and beautiful (at an equivalent focal length of 800mm) but the T-ring quickly loosens, and you loose rigidity and sharpness.

I shall wait for the digitscoping/digital camera technology to improve and/or come down in price, and then move to that system.

Before buying the Swarovski I used a Celestron C90. Vastly cheaper (probably can ger them in the states for $350 if you shop around) though important to get the model with the one and one quarter inch eyepiece. Very good optics though. But you cannot get zoom lens for them, and they are defintely clunkier and less mobile for carrying around. Be well woth considering if you were on a limited budget and it is not important to use it as a camera as well. I did for a while, but the t-mount/T-ring problem was even worse for these than for the Swarovski. And changing from camera use to eye much less smooth than with the Swarovski. And seeing that I am myself monocular, I was happy to spend money on a fancy scope rather than fancy binos.

Before finishing though, I should say that if any one is in the market for a fully waterproof nitrogen purged set of binoculars, Vanns.com in the states has an amazing deal going; they are selling Meades 7x42 Rainforest Pros for under $200 US (I just bought a pair for $179). These Meades are $450 even at discount prices from other suppliers, and I have not seen any reputable brand of fully sealed nitrogen purged binos for under $350 US before. I bought these because my other brand of meades (8x42 wide angled safari pros - for obvious reasons wide angled is important to me) are optically very good, but they did fog up a couple of times in PNG in 2000, twice at critical moments.

Kim
Until April 2002 visting at

Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences
101-40
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, California 91125
USA