birding-aus

Lake Samsonvale,SEQ

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Lake Samsonvale,SEQ
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:41:32 +1100
Spent a hot morning birding at Lake Samsonvale on th March.Got there bright & early to find the elusive King Quail.Alas, despite hours of walking along the mown tracks through the chest-high grass, and hearing and seeing many Brown Quail, enough Tawny Grassbird and Golden-headed Cisticola to keep the binos jumping every minute, yet again I was forced to consider the obvious. Tom Tarrant had failed to release them from his avairy up the road at Daybro !!! What do I need to do to get the same service as you give the Mexicans, Tom?
          Pocketing the disappointment I ultimately headed for the water, and the growing muddy shoreline.Things improved with the highlight being 53+ Great-crested Grebe scoped on a wide expanse of water.Found 4 species of duck, withHardhead predominant, didn't conduct a detailed count but must have been close to 700.Only 2 raptors (Whistling Kite and Australian Kestrel) ,3 egrets, 2 ibis, and Royal Spoonbill. Scanned the edges hoping for Painted Snipe, given their rash of appearances elsewhere this summer, but could only locate a Buff-banded Rail. No waders as such,but plenty of Black-winged Stilt and a handful of Black-fronted Dotterel.One Gull-billed Tern amongst a few Crested Tern and an occassional Silver Gull.
        Bush birds as expected, with great views of a number of Shining-bronze Cuckoo. All up, 56 species and a need to raid the secret breeding location of Mr.Tarrant's King Quail.

      Russ Lamb, Maleny,SEQ