birding-aus

(no subject)

Subject: (no subject)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 23:48:04 EST
I have recently returned from a short break in the New england NPs area. We stayed at  the Native Dog camping ground  of Catherdral Rock NP and at Styx River camping ground near the entrance  to New England NP.These areas are about 20kms apart and the Styx river area is higher than native Dog.
Grey Fantails were in almost plague proportions in each area. There were many yellow, brown , striated and yellow-rumped Thornbills as well as White-throated Treecreepers in each area.
The Flame Robin was in each area but the Scarlett Robin was only seen at Native Daog. There were many Leaden Flycatchers in this park as well but again none were seen at New England. Would the height difference be the cause of this?
In New England NP we watched a collared Sparrowhawk chase 2 Currawongs. We could not see a reason for this.
At Styx River we had an evening visit from a antechinus and there were Spotted Quolls there also.

Ruth
Brisbane