birding-aus

Re: why birding-aus?

To: <>
Subject: Re: why birding-aus?
From: "Andrew Stafford" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 19:40:14 +1100
I never thought birding-aus was a forum for twitchers any more than it was a
forum for the discussion of bird behaviour, bird banding, virus threats or
the movements of White-throated Needletails, all subjects which receive
ample and ongoing coverage. I'm not sure why anyone would unsubscribe on
those grounds.

While one of the reasons I remain subscribed is because it's the best way to
keep in touch with what's being seen (and these days, I have to, since I
have begun writing up Twitcher's Corner for Wingspan), I also enjoy most of
the discussions that take place. I always find David Geering's detailed
observations of interest, for example, and I have learned much from his
postings.

I have come close to unsubscribing on several occasions, and refrained from
posting to the list for a while after a rather nasty personal attack some
time ago. Also, as I don't have time to do much birding at the moment, I
didn't feel I had much of real interest to contribute.

What birding-aus has unequivocally done, though, is put a small community of
people from all over the country and from many different walks of life in
touch with each other, and that's something to celebrate. How many new
friendships have been forged through this forum?

While robust discussion of issues brings out sides of ourselves that others
may find annoying or in some cases offensive (and there are some whom I feel
grossly abuse the list) I think the pros generally
outweigh the cons - if, at times, only just.

Good birding

AS