birding-aus

Five hours old and 31 "hunting" offences

To: <>
Subject: Five hours old and 31 "hunting" offences
From: "Karen Pearson" <>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 12:36:36 +1100
According to the Herald Sun this morning, as at midday Saturday, less than 5
hours into the official duck shooting season, officers had reported 31
"hunting" offences ranging from shooting before the season starts (due to
"impatience"), shooting protected species, and shooting with banned lead
shot.

Rescuers have had 65 offences against them, which I believe involves $100.00
on the spot fines for just being on the wetland and Laurie Levy has been
arrested.

Over my morning coffee I had to explain to my 8 year old daughter WHY people
rescuing injured wildlife are fined and/or arrested.   When she asked WHY
people shoot ducks. I said for "recreation".   Upon her asking what
"recreation" meant,  I replied "for fun".

Sad.  I am heartened by the fact that she thinks it is as bizarre as I do.

As I wasn't able to attend the rescue I will be making sure I donate for at
least one rescuers fine.

Regards
Karen.