birding-aus

Autumn in your garden

To: <>
Subject: Autumn in your garden
From: "Jacqui Sheppard" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 22:52:05 +1100
We have a very small garden with a limited range of plants, banksia,correa and a favourite with all species that visit is a tall New Zealand tree with pink flowers which go into large seed pods. The large pines next door are now providing refuge for a raven and Grey Butcherbird, which are unusual for us. We have a narrow overlook of Port Phillip Bay - hence the lack of plant variety, due to salt and wind storms. I have been surprised to regularly see silvereyes still visiting, and two only New Holland Honeyeaters.
Today we had a swan flying over from the middle of the bay somewhere, headed we assume for our nearby wetlands. Another surprise for us this week was to see a pair of kestrel hovering over the foreshore grass here.
If only one had more time to just gaze out the window there could be more surprises.
Jacqui Sheppard