birding-aus

Hunting heroes. Thanks Terry Pacey!!

Subject: Hunting heroes. Thanks Terry Pacey!!
From: "Marilyn Davis" <>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 22:24:24 +0800

From: "Katie McSheffrey Gunther" <>
To: <>
Subject: [BIRDING-AUS] Thanks Terry Pacey!!
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 16:09:37 +1100

I may be a minority of one on this mailing list. I do object to the painting of all hunters as irresponsible and intent on the destruction of native animals. A surprising number of us are educated, ethical, and conservationists!

Yep! Basic ecological principle is survival of the fittest and its people like Katie that help keep the population of them birds and animals (vermin) under control. It is these heroes that maintain natures balance, culling and culling to take pressure off the environment and weed out the weak. If it was not for the hunters we would be overrun by vermin and genetically inferior stock.

The hunters will demonstrate how its just a simple matter of a clean head or chest shot and they are satisfied. And how as concerned conversationists, they lobby and lobby to save important areas of natural lands that otherwise would have been developed. They will tell us that in africa, by placing such a high price on an animal trophy, they have saved species by creating an economic incentive on habitat preservation. They have achieved all of this because of their ability to lobby strongly. They have erected thousands of nesting boxes which has helped save the european starling.

Man is a natural hunter they will say. Thank you Katie for caring about the welfare of our birds like you do!

I am happy to debate the ethicality of hunting, but do we really want to do it on this previously enjoyable listserv? After reading the bill cover to cover (which is like chewing glass, by the way)

I suppose the pain of eating glass would be mild compared to the suffering of wounded Stilts and other birds injured by having their mandibles and their legs blown off by off target duck hunters. Such things would make great subjects for Katies scientific illustration.

Yep! Hunters are the real heroes of the environment. It is difficult for them to describe their excitement when all their skill culminates in the shooting down of a Little Quail flushing from the stubble. Just knowing that one has contributed to the protection of our environment, by reducing quail grazing pressure must be "so satisfying".

And Hunters all strenuously deny that the blood and the thrill of the kill is any substitute for their sexual inability.

Happy birding

Marilyn