birding-aus

RFI Powerful Owl - Brisbane Ranges - and highlights in general - Werribe

To: <>
Subject: RFI Powerful Owl - Brisbane Ranges - and highlights in general - Werribee
From: "J & C Krohn" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 20:29:46 +1100
Folks,

I'm spending next Monday with a visiting birder, Tom Harrison, with whom I came into contact via birding-aus.  I was proposing to visit grey box woodlands south of Melton, the Brisbane Ranges and the Western Treatment Complex (for which I have a permit and key).  I was wondering if anyone is able to provide current information on where best to look for Powerful Owls in the Brisbane Ranges.  As I recall there have been reports in the past from near Stony Creek picnic area and from near Anakie Gorge, but I'd be grateful if anyone with recent information could offer some guidance on where to look.  I'm not entirely sure of Tom's wishlist but who could NOT want to see a Powerful Owl?  Tom will have spent some time around Port Stephens so I'd like to try to find him some of our more southerly specialities.

Any particular highlights to look out for at Werribee would also be much appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance.

Regards,

    Jack Krohn