birding-aus

Dead Ducks 2

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Dead Ducks 2
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 02:00:21 +1100
Hi again

Today's Geelong Advertiser contains, on P. 31, an "advertising feature" on
duck shooting.  There is the article "Saving Wetlands" that I summarised
earlier; a list of rules on bag limits, protected species, etc; an ad for an
outboard motor dealer; another for the Field & Game Duck Report Night (Thurs
March 7th at Geelong West Town Hall); and taking up about half the page, an
ad for "The Outdoor Sportsman" store.  A large part of the advertisement
contains the following "article" (beneath a sketch of a man shooting at 4
flying Canada Geese!) - I will reproduce it in full, keeping the
capitalisation, punctuation and grammar intact:

"Duck Season - March 16th, 2002"

"Will someone please tell the people in the DNR&E that set the bag limits
and season opening times that to do the job professionally and properly that
they have to COUNT the ducks first.  In the Hunting Guide 2002 in white
print on a black background, so that it stands out, they mention that due to
low duck populations across eastern Australia, the five bird bag limit will
remain but an additional five wood ducks can be taken each day of the
opening weekend - come on guys, talk to your neighbouring states, unlimited
wood ducks for the entire season and 12 other birds in South Australia for
second season in a row.  Rice season in New South Wales is managed properly
where the occupiers licence states type and numbers that can be shot, mostly
unlimited.  I think the Victorian DNR&E has forgotten that duck season is
part of a game bird management program, not a political football that
panders to the green minority.  Get out and count the birds, you might be
surprised how many there are and we might be surprised at the return for our
licence fees for a change"

Rod Haugh
Proprietor "The Outdoor Sportsman"
19 Pakington Street
Geelong West
Ph 03 5221 5133
Fax 03 5221 1033

I'd be interested to know some facts on this matter - how long since the
DNRE have surveyed waterfowl in Victoria?  Are there current population
estimates?  Are the statements about NSW and SA correct?  Is this writer
deliberately misrepresenting the facts to stir up resentment against those
who would protect our wildfowl?

Let's hope that the person who wrote this notice can count better than he
writes, and knows when the day's bag limit has been reached.
If you are angered about this sort of notice, like I am, you might like to
express yoru views to Rod Haugh.  Don't be surprised if the fax number is
busy ...