birding-aus

Clunes (Central Vic) Trip report

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Clunes (Central Vic) Trip report
From: "Marlene Lyell" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 23:13:48 +1100
Hi All,

   First of all, special thanks to everyone who responded to my request for information re the Clunes area.  A very interesting area and I've only touched a smidgen of the forests surrounding Clunes.  There's still Talbot and Creswick to be explored.

Along with members of the list recommending Mt. Beckworth, a couple of local birders also rated it highly. So on the 11th February (sorry it's a little out of date, but just catching up) and then 4th March I was off to Mt. Beckworth.

The highlight of both visits was finding a Speckled Warbler.  Before this, I had only seen this bird once.  The locations of these sightings were within 1/2k of each other,  so it is quite possible that I saw the same bird twice. Nevertheless, I was thrilled.
You are never far from the sound of honeyeaters.  Yellow-faced, Yellow-tufted, Fuscous, Black-chinned, White-eared, White-naped,  Red Wattlebird and Noisy Miner are scattered throughout the park.
Striated, Brown, Buff-rumped & Yellow-rumped Thornbills plus Weebills, Varied Sittella, Scarlet Robin, Superb Fairy-wren, Red-browed Firetail, Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike, White-browed Babblers, Striated & Spotted Pardalote, Silvereye, Kookaburra, Grey Currawong, Rufous Whistler, Brown & White-throated Treecreeper, Grey Fantail, Mistletoebird feeding young, Grey-Shrike-thrush, C.Bronzewing, Brown Falcon & Whistling Kite.

Other birds around the Clunes area included A.Raven, Magpie, Magpie-lark, Richards Pipit, Welcome Swallow, Red-rumped Parrot, Nankeen Kestrel, White-plumed & New Holland Honeyeater, Long-billed Corella, Eastern Shrike-tit, Galah, Rainbow Bee-eater, Restless Flycatcher, Willie Wagtail, Diamond Firetail, Tree Martin, Little Thornbill,  Eastern Yellow Robin, Crested Pigeon, Masked Lapwing.
There were lorikeets flying over, but I'm not confident about identifying these 'on the wing.'

Happy birding
Marlene