birding-aus

KP

To: "birds" <>
Subject: KP
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 16:58:17 +1030
Hi all, if anyone is still intending to go look for the KP the following may
prove helpful.  Just had a bit of a drive.

Last Friday late afternoon there was a very strong onshore breeze blowing
and the tide was out. Not a sign of any birds at the high tide roost on the
seaboard side of the tern colony enclosure. Fortunately I remembered
someone, I think it was Trevor Quested, saying something about finding the
KP on the sand bar to the west of the tern enclosure, so we crossed over and
although a fair distance away the bird was easily identified with our scopes
cranked up to x45.  As others have reported, it was in association with
Red-capped Plovers, Mongolians, Double-banded, and lots of Golden Plovers.
The light was pretty awful with the sun behind the birds so leg colouring
was impossible to determine.
Next morning we went out again, once again when the tide was out but coming
in. So in case the bird was still on the sand bar we walked in to the left
of the tern enclosure, but only the Golden Plovers were out there. So we
walked right round the enclosure and came at the high tide roost with the
sun at our backs. The same mix of birds were in association with the KP and
this time we had perfect views at about 30metres.  Our impression was the
same as Mike Carter's, i.e. 98j in Hyman.
Simon Blanch was working the birds from the opposite (southern) end and was
having light problems. Nice to meet you Simon.
Thanks to Rohan Clarke and Richard Baxter for directions .
Tony.