birding-aus

Birds of The Solomons, Vanuatu & New Caledonia

To: 'Terry Pacey' <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Birds of The Solomons, Vanuatu & New Caledonia
From: Mike Tarburton <>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 15:22:30 +1000

Dear Terry & Those interested in the Solomon Islands.

I want to thank Terry for his notes sent to me a couple of years ago for by them I could also tell that Doughty's book has a number of mistakes in it, even for the Honiara area.  But if you want many mistakes talk to Don Hadden who has just completed 2 years on Bougainville in addition to the six years he spent there prior to the disturbances on that island.  He and a friend have documented what they say are hundreds of errors in that book - but I do not know where they plan to publish them.

I only spent a week on Bougainville last year and two weeks on Guadalcanal but I found a number of birds not listed for those islands and some of these were in Terry's lists he sent to me.  So Terry the History has not changed a lot there and the waterbirds shown on your list and not in the book are still there.

Cheers

Mike.

Dr Mike Tarburton
Assoc. Prof. Biology