birding-aus

Western Port bird wot-tis-it

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Western Port bird wot-tis-it
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 19:13:35 -0800 (PST)
Here's 1 ... that I haven't a clue what it is?

Same size as an adult pacific gull, colouring is
flecked and mottled grey brown with racing pinstripes
down it's back? entire bird colouring from beak to
feet are all a mid grey colour, without my bino's
looks like a small hook, overhang section?, to the end
of the upper beak? it's hanging about near the
Hastings Pier in amongst a good sized gathering of
Silver gulls on it's ownsome?

I am going to get my camera and binoc's and go back

I've seen immature and juvenile PG's before also kelp
gulls at various stages ....

Kind Regards,
JAG