birding-aus

Koala food trees

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Koala food trees
From: "Graham" <>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 10:43:03 +1100
G'day birders,
                    further to the discussion about koala food trees (yes I realise its not bird related) below is a list of food trees used in PIlliga State Forest. This data was the result of a long term study on the effects of logging callitris (cypress pine) on Koalas. Incidentally, the numbers of Koalas in Pilliaga was incredible, I'd always thought of them as more coastal.....maybe I should stick to birds.

The reason I'm posting this is that Koalas have a much wider food preference than many people would think. Unfortunately its not that simple, as food species in one area is completely ignored in others.

In Pilliga the preferred food trees where
River Red Gum
Blakelys Red Gum
'Chloroclada' Red Gum
Pilliga box
Bimble (poplar) Box
White Box
Yellow Box
Any hybrid Euc of the above sp.
Also some parts of mistletoe

Also consumed but probably not preferred
Angophora floribunda
White Cypress
Most of the ironbarks
The remaining box and red gum species