birding-aus

Victoria's Box-Ironbark - Govt response Feb 2002

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Victoria's Box-Ironbark - Govt response Feb 2002
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 09:57:07 +1100
I understand some of the worries about European bees - not
least that, as social insects, they have an organised and
painful response to human interference !

However the Victorian Environment Conservation Council has
the impossible(?) task for an advisory body of making
recommendations which "balance" social and environmental
concerns: it is supposed to be both scientific and
political.

It recommended MORE protection after the draft report but I
am not sure how much of its final recommendation have been
accepted by the State government (despite their sounding
friendly towards it).

Anyhow, I guess one of the balancing tricks was about how
many interest groups to take on: loggers, miners and people
fossicking for minerals, livestock owners..  Perhaps it was
wise to leave the apiarists/bee keepers until later.  After
all the government is (hooray!) currently tacking the
problem of excess logging in other parts of the state.

The box-ironbark bill is scheduled for the spring session.

PLEASE tell the pollies that they should accept the EEC
recommendations - and similarly the recommendations for the
Marine Parks and Sanctuaries.  I understand the bill, due to
go up this session, could still include Ricketts Point (and
Cape Howe?) if there is enough pressure.

Michael Norris