birding-aus

On Kentish Plovers

To: <>
Subject: On Kentish Plovers
From: "Dion Hobcroft" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:28:44 +1100
Firstly Robert Inglis asked about Malaysian Plover C. peronii
identification. They are identified from Kentish by black band on rear
border of neck collar in males, females have rusty shoulder bar, cheeks and
head. Juveniles apparently show rusty shoulder bar as well (Grantham in
prep). Trickier still is Javan Plover C.javanicus which shows a buff tinge
to the white collar which darkens to the centre of the nape, making the
collar incomplete (Grantham in prep.). Neither of these descriptions fit the
Old Bar bird(s).

Mike interprets BWP differently to me. Both dealbatus and alexandrinus very
slightly overlap in bill length and depth measurements (not sexed in BWP).
BWP quotes dealbatus intergrades with nominate alexandrinus in Manchuria,
Korea and southern Ussuriland. Dealbatus is distinguished by a longer,
heavier bill from alexandrinus but they do not say the change in bill length
is abrupt.

Differences in the description between Mike and I are interesting and we
cannot rule out the two bird theory but somehow I still think it unlikely.
There is important agreement on the bird being a female winter plumage
dealbatus either adult or first prebreeding. There is much to be learnt
about the moult cycles of Asian Kentish Plovers. Lets hope some one can come
up with definitive evidence of two birds. Further study necessary.

Cheers

Dion