birding-aus

2 Kentish Plovers

Subject: 2 Kentish Plovers
From: David Siems <>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:25:42 +1100
 Hi Netters,
        Edwin, I hope, has solved a problem I had with the Kentish Plover I
checked out.
        I went back to read a previous e-mail of 20th February.
        Allan Benson wrote in part:- "The Old Bar bird is certainly a
non-breeding adult or juvenile and my guess is a juvenile, based on the
scruffiness of the bird, based on the superciliam".
        Mike Carter wrote in part:-"Well I reckon the bird is a dealbatus, a
female. It is very like fig j, plate 35 in Hayman et al Shorebirds, an adult
in breeding plumage.
        Two different sightings I didn't pick up when reading this e-mail
before I went to Old Bar.
        When Mike Carter said the bird looked like (j) in Shorebirds, I
thought, well Mike knows more than me and I may need a new scope. The bird I
was looking at had pale coloured legs like (q) and the white collar didn't
go all the way round the neck. It had a faded brown piece on the back of the
nape about 4mm wide seperating the white collar.
        Then Neville Pamment in his report said "The white collar was
obvious". As it took two hours checking the four piles of pebbles before my
Kentish Plover stood up from behind a large stone to be checked out, have
the birds been taking it in turns to let us see them.

All the Best
David Siems
Sydney, Australia
Phone: +61 (0)2 9759 1891