birding-aus

ole of amateurs in ornitholog- call for commentary

To: "Birding -Aus" <>
Subject: ole of amateurs in ornitholog- call for commentary
From: "Jim Davis" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 04:50:17 -0600
Call for commentaries:

    In an upcoming issue of the Interpretive Birding Bulletin, we plan to
publish a feature article on "the role of amateur naturalists in science",
specially with regard to ornithology.  The format I would like to follow
will include an introduction to the topic (an independent article) followed
by a series of responses/commentaries from authors of varying backgrounds.
A commentary can include personal, but informed opinions, details pertaining
to ongoing projects that involve amateurs (successes and failures), and
suggestions on how amateur naturalists can contribute!  However, since we
are all familiar with the role of naturalists as teachers, I would like to
exclude this option from the list of potential contributions by amateurs.
Also, I would like to draw the line between amateur and professional
naturalists (whose activities focused on making a living being a
naturalist).
   I would like authors to be creative with their ideas and analysis.  The
overall goal of the series is to emphatically demonstrate that
the study of natural history by amateurs isn't dead, i.e., a sole activity
of past generations, but is still worthwhile, respectable, engaging, and
enjoyable.  We hope to recruit writers who are amateur naturalists, birders,
biologists and other professionals that interact with amateurs.
   Below is a short piece published in the current issue of the Bulletin.
If you would like to contribute a commentary in this series please reply by
e-mail to the editor of the IB Bulletin. Include in your e-mail an outline
of what topics you would like to cover and any additional ideas on how the
series can be organized.  At this moment, the opportunity to write (or
co-author) the introduction is open.
  Commentaries, typically, should be limited to 750 words or less.  If
enough people contribute, we will consider publishing a special issue of the
Bulletin dedicate to this one topic, and make this issue widely available.

Dr Wm James Davis, Editor

Interpretive Birding Bulletin
A resource for interpreting behavior
Trial copies of the Bulletin are available online
www.ibirding.com

-------------
The role of amateur naturalists in ornithology

Amateurs always have, and will continue to provide knowledge that is useful
to science.  As pointed out by the late Nobel laureate Niko Tinbergen,
scientists are often inspired by the discoveries and the ideas of amateurs.
Because increasingly fewer biologists are pursuing field-related projects
(instead, opting for more high-tech research where they can find funding),
at no time in modern history has the role of the amateur naturalist been
more critical.  Amateurs often take the lead in documenting and recognizing
significant changes that are occurring in the natural world.  This
information is critical as baseline data and for providing real-time context
to empirical studies conducted by scientists.  In many instances, formal
studies depend heavily upon input from amateurs.   There is, however, some
concern that information collected by amateurs isn
't particularly useful or reliable  because the number of observations is
typically small and/or because the objectivity of the reports comes into
question.  This concern is especially relevant with regard to reporting
behavioral observations.  Is it legitimate?  Recently this topic inspired a
spate of e-mails on several internet listserves.
   One often hears that reports of amateurs are simply anecdotal accounts.
Although true in many instances, it is not a foregone conclusion that the
observations of all amateurs are suspect or of low quality.  To the
contrary, many amateurs assume responsibility for staying informed and
adopting techniques that help assure objectivity of their observations.  As
outlined in past articles in the Bulletin, there are a few simple steps that
can help make your observations more "meaningful" and accessible to others.
In your field notebook, it is helpful to separate descriptive observations
from interpretations, and within your observations, include only what was
actually witnessed.  Spend as much time as possible watching in order to
detect salient contextual information.  Lastly, spend some time learning
about what other people (amateurs and scientists) are watching and thinking.
We would like to think that the Interpretive Birding Bulletin is an
excellent source of information for serious amateur naturalists, especially
those interested in birds.

    I would like to take this opportunity to invite readers-especially those
at zoos, museums and nature centers as well as biologists and folks
conducting their own projects-to let us know what impact they think amateurs
have or should have in the natural sciences.  More specifically, how can
amateur naturalists contribute to our understanding of the natural world,
and how can their efforts influence the direction of natural history
studies, ornithology and ethology?

  We will attempt to revisit this question in a future issue after receiving
sufficient responses.