birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant, Whats in a name?

To: Shirley Cameron <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant, Whats in a name?
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 00:41:14 -0800 (PST)
Thanks for the offer Shirley but I'll pass :^D

I think you need a name that will make the area
flushed with success though? perhaps some stink along
the lines of an upmarket Werribee? spelling is now of
course "Where-to-pee" or named after that famous
American "Richard Dunloovee" ??? or "Bends Hatch"
after the famous UK racing circuit maybe "Walter
Waters Park?" after the first John Lysaght employee to
go and start work there? Aaah well time for me to roll
out the door now, pick up the paper, press the button
and say, what's up doc or "Yib better! Yib better!
that's all folks"

JAG
Shirley Cameron <> wrote:

I do hope all those who asked for the detailed maps of
the Treatment Plant received them and that they are of
value. I would like to be able to add GPS details in
the future, that would make giving details of
particular birds even more reliable. In the course of
this interesting exercise I received this
correspondence from a fellow Werribee birder and
invite comments from other frequent users of the
facility:

Shirley Cameron

I think we should give some thought to a more accurate
name to identify the area we inspect. It is a
specific part of the W.T.P, not the W.T.P. It is not a
park, not technically, so we cannot call it the Little
River Coastal Park to match the Point Cook Coastal
Park. Werribee ought to be in name some where. It is
not really a wetland, not in the sense in which the
term is used. Nor is it solely a habitat for water
birds nor waders.

That leaves us with the ungainly name of  "Werribee
Coastal Bird Habitat."

I must confess that using the name Western Treatment
Plant (nee M.M.B.W Sewage Farm) as an address for what
we do must create some revulsion in the minds of some
of the people we need to be interested participants.

Can I hear you say "Cut the crap. Call a spade a
spade"

For response I nominate "Let's be accurate."

I await your comments.