birding-aus

Kentish Plover and Yellow Wagtails

To: <>
Subject: Kentish Plover and Yellow Wagtails
From: "Neville Pamment" <>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:37:56 +1100
We burned up some frequent flyer points on a weekend dash to Taree and Ash Island.

We found the Kentish Plover at 2.30 pm Sunday 24th February, about 3 hours before high tide, feeding and loafing with Red-capped Plovers (and other waders) on a large sand-bar on the inlet (west) side of the Little Tern colony.  This sandbar is directly opposite the high tide roosting site, marked by the pink cup. The latter is about 1 km along the fence, as you walk in from the carpark. To see it on the sandbar requires a scope. It frustratingly sheltered from the wind in little "holes" in the sand or behind tiny sand hummocks, and so was invisible at those times. Very careful searching is required in this location.

At just after 5 pm, almost on the full tide, it flew right over the tern colony area and landed at the high tide roosting area on the ocean side. We raced around there and had  excellent views until after 6 pm, though I constantly lost and relocated it as it disappeared down 4WD ruts, behind sandhills etc. It was in company with about 10 Redcapped Plover, Red-necked Stints (2) and Double-Banded Plover (2). The complete white collar is very obvious.  Close to Redcapped Plovers, it can be seen to be slightly larger, and the bill is slightly thicker and longer.

The next day 25th February we drove down to Hexham and, after an hour of searching,  found a male Yellow Wagtail in breeding plumage on the causeway at the exact spot reported by Bob Way in his recent posting.  It was our first trip to Ash Island - a great spot. Mosquito repellent is recommended!

All in all, a great weekend's birding.
Cheers
Neville