birding-aus

Ringed Plover @ Marlo

To: "Mike Carter" <>, "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Ringed Plover @ Marlo
From: "Stuart Cooney" <>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 10:04:43 +1100
Hi Mike and birders,

The Ringed Plover was there on Friday evening around 6pm.  I waded the
estuary and wandered towards the end, disregarding Red-capped and Hooded (!)
Plovers along the way, passing a dumpy little Ruddy Turnstone,  a few
Sanderling and loads and loads of Red-necked Stints.  About 300 metres
before the end of the spit, however was a bigger plover, with a white
collar, right around its neck and a white patch behind its eye (couldn't see
white in front of its eye as in the texts), Ringed Plover Tick!!!!

Saw loads of Crested Terns, a few Caspian terns but NO Little Terns, and
failed to to see any Fairy Terns (a potential tick).

Stayed at the Brodribb River Rainforest Cabins in Marlo, one of the best
places I've stayed for less than $100, especailly when the White-bellied
Sea-Eagle showed up in the morning, taking over from the vocal Whistling
Kites of the evening before.

Still failed to get Square-tailed Kite (a tickable bird), although my wife,
Sam, insists that she saw one but I was being too clever to look closely at
what I thought was a Whistler, so she's ticking it, but I've dipped again
(that's two she's got that I haven't; STK and Painted Honeyeater, and she
doesn't even count them!!!).

Other good birds for the weekend include Eastern Curlew near the Snowy
Mouth, 200+ White-throated Needletails along the Cape Conron Road and loads
of Rufous Fantails at Cabbage Tree Palms Flora Reserve.

A great overnight stay, I would've loved to haved stayed last night as well.

Regards,

Stuart