birding-aus

The Big Twitch Goes To Brisbane- Part 2

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: The Big Twitch Goes To Brisbane- Part 2
From: "Sean Dooley" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 14:02:05 +1100
Having celebrated my 300th bird (Richard's Pipit) at Hasting's Point, I headed back towards Brisbane, stopping at sites along Moreton Bay hoping to get mangrove and wader species.

At Thorneside I managed to only hear  Mangrove Gerygone and Collared Kingfisher but saw Brown Honeyeater and Scaly-breasted Lorikeet. The tide was way out but I still managed to identify on the mudflats Grey-tailed Tattler, Terek Sandpiper and Great Knot.I also saw a possible Broad-billed Sandpiper, but it was too far away to confirm its identity.

That night I stopped and had a meal at a restaurant in Brisbane. Around me all the tables were filled with cooing couples looking lovingly into each other's eyes. I realised it was Valentine's Day and I was alone in a sea of lovers. So I went and got my loved one... my binoculars, and set them opposite me on the table. We had a wonderfully romantic dinner. Afterwards I took my loved one for a stroll along the sea front, but we failed to consummate the relationship as there were no birds to be seen in the dark.

The next day I dragged Andrew out again and this time we headed out to the Conondale Ranges, a superb area of rainforest, rivers and mountains that is often overlooked by birders. Our main target was Black-breasted Button-quail, and although we did find some very fresh platelets, failed to find any actual birds. In a really enjoyable day's birding in as I said, a really enjoyable area, I managed to add White-headed Pigeon, Cicadabird, Paradise Riflebird, Dusky Honeyeater, Pale Yellow Robin, Black-faced Monarch, Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove and Russet-tailed Thrush.

On the way back we finally picked up Comb-crested Jacana, and a pair of Brolga, on the outskirts of Brisbane.

Saturday was the pelagic trip out of Southport- my first boat trip this far north. The boat was amazing- about five times bigger than the little tubs we go out in further south, and very comfortable. I was surprised to hear Laurie Knight had been sick, the boat was so big, I missed all the action. The action I did catch was out on the waves. Just offshore, less than a kilometre past the breakwater were masses of birds, mainly Wedge-tailed Shearwaters, but also a Tahiti Petrel- Paul Wallbridge said this was the first time he had ever seen one this close inshore.

Things were looking even better as headed further out with two birds I needed, Streaked Shearwater and White-tailed Tropic-bird being seen. I didn't, however, get satisfactory views of either species but wasn't too worried as this was only the first hour of the trip. If it was this good now, think how great it would be out at the shelf.

Oh how wrong I was. Apart from about a dozen Flesh-footed Shearwaters, a pair of Hutton's Shearwaters, another one or two Tahiti Petrels and the occasional Crested Tern, there was nothing at the shelf all day. We barely saw another bird for the rest of the day. On the way back in, the lack of birds seemed to have a soporific effect on most everyone on board. I was sitting atop the ship, trying desperately to pick up something, anything on the way back in. My lack of experience in this part of the world really showed when in the distance I saw two large birds with pale heads sitting on the water in the distance. I was surprised at the size of the birds and the only thing I could think of was Frigatebirds. Of course with pale heads they were unlikely to have been Frigatebirds but it was here that the disadvantage of a large, comfortable boat became evident. By the time I had rushed down to the other end of the boat, roused the enough people and explained I had something interesting, the birds had long gone. Only one other birder saw them, and he confirmed they were... Streaked Shearwaters. A lifer missed. It wouldn't have happened on the tiny tub bobbing around off Portland. Everybody would have immediately heard my cries and almost as quickly dismissed my laughable claims of frigatebird. Then again, nobody else on the Southport boat realised what a goose I had made of myself.

When we got back to shore, the word was just getting out about the reputed Kentish Plover at Taree. I had planned to spend the next day (my last full day in Brisbane) going out to Sherwood Forest Park to try for two very tricky species, Bush Hen and Little Bittern. Taree was almost seven hundred kilometres south of Brisbane and I had to fly out the next morning from Brisbane on a non-refundable ticket. Could I do a 1400km twitch successfully and be back in time to catch my flight? It seemed like madness.

So, of course, I had to try.

Leaving Brisbane at 5:30 I began the drive. Nine hours later (3:30 NSW time) I arrived at Old Bar, just out of Taree. On the way I barely stopped, but I did manage to add Plumed Whistling-Duck and Black-necked Stork (Jabiru) along the way.

On the way down I began getting phone messages. At Murwillumbah one from Mike Carter confirming that the bird was a Kentish Plover according to reliable sources. At Grafton, a call from Tony Palliser who was at the spot and had just dipped out on the bird. At Port Macquarie a report from Andrew Stafford that a couple of birders from yesterday's boat trip had just seen Bush Hen and Little Bittern at Sherwood. I had dropped the chance for two difficult ticks to go on this wild plover chase. It had better pay off.

Getting out of the car I realised was absolutely wiped out from the drive. But there was no time to rest. I was greeted by a group of birders including Anne Lindsay and Richard Baxter who had just come from looking at the bird. But they said I should hurry. It had been at its high tide roost for three or four hours now and the tide was rapidly going out. They all expected the bird to head off to feed any moment now.

Mike Carter had arrived from Melbourne fifteen minutes earlier and was rushing out along the beach to the bird. As he had the directions I knew all I had to do was catch up with him, but Richard kindly offered to take me to the beach and show me where to go. He was explaining to me where the bird was seen, what it had been doing, and what features to look for. Basically I left him there on the beach talking and rushed off to get the bird before it flew off. Sorry about that Richard.

As I approached the site I could make out the figure of Mike, worryingly seemingly wandering about aimlessly. When I caught up with him he declared he couldn't find the bird. Disaster, all this way, this one window of opportunity and I'd blown it. I knew I shouldn't have stopped for that toilet break at Woolgoolga- there was a perfectly good empty coke bottle in the car.

We focussed our attention on the shingle bank where Richard said the bird had been roosting. Nothing. We put the telescope on the bank, and as if by some Star Trek like transporter, birds began to appear amongst the shingles, first a Red-capped Plover, then another, then another three, then a Double-banded Plover, then a Lesser Sand-plover. But still no Kentish.

Then Mike cried, "There's something with a white collar!" And sure enough materialising before us was a Kentish Plover, only the second bird ever found in Australia. Within five minutes, a couple walking their dog had flushed all the birds and they were gone. Another five minutes later and I would have missed the bird entirely. Thank God I had resisted the urge to stop at The Big Banana in Coffs Harbour and gaze in awe and amazement at this wonder of the modern world.

And so I headed back to Brisbane, even got a good sleep in at a hotel half way, and made the flight with half an hour to spare. Mmm, maybe that would have given me enough time to tick off the Bush Hen and Bittern.

I left Brissy with my total now on 321. But I'll be back as there is still unfinished business up there.

Sean