birding-aus

Kakapos

Subject: Kakapos
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:39:21 +1100
What Kim says I think is true. When I was in New Zealand in 1996 a number of the males were considered to be past breeding age. Often these were the dominant lekking male, and were thought to be preventing breeding by th other males, particularly on Little Barrier Island. However, I think it was later found that the main problem was that the habitat on LBI was sub-optimal and once these birds were moved to Codfish and the rimu (the podocarp tree) fruited the birds successfully bred. The numbers this year are astounding and if even a quarter survive, then the species is looking a bit more hopeful. DoC used to (and probably still has) have a great volunteer program, which was what I did on both Little Barrier and Chatham Islands. LBI was very popular, because of its condition and also this is virtually the only way to visit. DoC staff also had the option to work in a different Conservancy and so when Codfish was "going off" many staff would go down for two week stints. When I was on LBI we were fortunate enough to have to recapture one of the birds to check its radio transmitter, but otherwise we never really saw or heard them, even though was at the start of the breedng season and the bowls were being used. As Kim says, they may not do nest guarding any more, but the volunteer program was a great way to see the better parts of NZ.
Cheers,
Peter