birding-aus

Pelican deaths ....

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Pelican deaths ....
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 00:22:20 -0800 (PST)
G'day All,

I received this email yesterday from a very distraught
lady and I pondered it for a while ... hmmm here we
all are in Oz, trying to attract peoples from all over
the planet, to holiday here and come see our beautiful
wildlife and birds?
makes you wonder just why we do it sometimes, eh?
Thank you John for your support of the Duck Rescue
campaign. You are so right about the spent cartridges.
When I rescued in 1992 & 93, not only was I stunned
about the gross acts of cruelty and random purposeful
shootings of anything that moved, but from the
pollution that was left.
======
Did you or anyone happen to get photo's? of the area
before and after the slaughter took place?
======
The leftover cartridges were everywhere!
======
Same again photo's are worth a thousand words?
======
We were all instructed to carry garbage bags and we
towed them behind us across the lake collecting these
cartridges wherever we went. We had bags and bags
full. A van full of bags of cartridges left the lake
when we did to return them to Sydney as proof of the
pollution (never mind the lead shot back then - if it
doesn't find a birds body to lodge in, it just falls
into the wetlands!! )
======
I hope some water quality testing was done? about six
months later? for we all know about home made rounds
of ammunition eh.
======
The thousands of cartridges we collected joined all
the dead birds (of ALL descriptions) on the steps of
Parliament House on the Monday after the opening
weekend.
======
I will never forget a pro-shooter media spokesperson
got hold of the TV camera's attention while we were at
Parliament House and began rambling on.
======
Yep they tend to "Butt in" eh
======
By this time the rescuers were exhausted from their
efforts over the weekend, not to mention upset by the
goings on they had witnessed.
======
Perhaps the rescuers should have made the efforts
based on knowing they would get relieved? one rescuer
on duty whilst one rests? better co-ordination is
needed I think?
======
One rescuer could not contain himself and carried a
shot dead pelican from the piles of dead birds, up to
the shooters spokesperson.
======
That is defenceless .... and I know had I had been
there then I would be in jail now serving a
manslaughter term ... how can you confuse a pelican
with a duck? if an individual, I'm being nice, has
that type of an eyesight problem, what the heck is he
doing having a gun license?
======
He almost shoved the pelicans bill up the shooters
spokespersons nose and yelled "Does this look like a
duck to you??"
======
I'd like to shake that mans hand.
======
Someone else decided to also pour a garbage bag full
of used cartridges over his head at this time.
======
Not the right approach, says this ex Gunner.
======
This was shown on the TV news and it said it all.
Another thing that completely shocked me was before
the shooting commenced, while still dark, hovercraft
type crafts raced around these beautiful wetlands,
full speed, to raise all the birds into the air for
the start of the shooting to begin!
======
Across the reeds eh?
======
It turned a beautiful serene bird breeding ground into
worse than a grand prix circuit.
======
Less blood at a grand prix though eh?????
======
It was a disgrace. It was completely disgusting. The
shooting always began illegally before it was light.
======
Modern day camera's and a TV Network live to air can
help ?????
======
We found a tree with baby cormorants in surrounded by
dead adults.
======
We found piles of discarded PLUCKED birds. We found
sunken sacks filled with dead non-game and game
species. We saw shooters throw still live birds into
their boats and flap around till they slowly died. We
saw people shooting birds for fun. Sorry to go on.
======
No No NEVER EVER bottle it up okay ... not your fault
you feel this way about people that have caused you so
much stress and anxiety, it's not your fault.
======
It was nearly 10 years ago, but I will never forget
what I saw. And I get so mad that in this day and age
it is still allowed to continue.
======
Hmmmm if I was an Oz farmer raising cattle I could do
what I wish with the cattle? right? and if I raised
pigs or chickens then the same applies right? Ummmm
who and what type of human gives others the right to
shoot wild birds?

I don't think any type of license applies here? so why
are licenses for duck shooting still given out? when
it's obvious it's not duck shooting and they are not
policing it?

John A. Gamblin