birding-aus

Birds and grapes

Subject: Birds and grapes
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:17:59 +1000
Margaret bell wrote ".... creating habitats that will encourage nectar
eating birds & insects to "work" with grape growers. At present the
Mornington Peninsula(Vic) vineyards are covered with white netting to
"eliminate bird pests - ie grape eating birds).With this monoculture,
frequently olives or cypress are planted for wind and vision buffers.
There
must surely be a more satisfactory management regime?"

I can't offer a solution or suggestion.  In fact I doubt there are any
real solutions.

I have seen a non-commercial vineyard in the Capertee Valley full of all
manner of grape-eating birds.  This was immediately adjacent a national
park.  Literally hundreds of Noisy Friarbirds were tucking in but no
Regent Honeyeaters were seen despite the fact that they were less than a
couple of hundred metres away.  The significance of this is that, back in
the good old days when Regents were more common than they are now, Regent
Honeyeaters were credited with raiding orchards.

I doubt that planting trees/shrubs to create less of a monoculture will
stop birds from finding a super-rich food resource such as a vineyard.

Cheers

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please
delete it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message may be
those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the
NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service.