birding-aus

Trip Report - Croajingalong etc

To: <>
Subject: Trip Report - Croajingalong etc
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 16:06:04 +1100
Trip Report - Croajingalong and surrounds January 10 - January 26, 2002
(Apologies for the delay)

During January 2002 I spent a couple of weeks bird watching in and around
Mallacoota and Croajingalong National Park. My trip also incorporated a side
trip to Green cape, (Ben Boyd NP), five days in the Mimosa Rocks NP area, and
then back through Kosciuszko National Park along the 'Alpine Way', and a very
quick drop into Chiltern NP.

The highlights for the trip included: Ground Parrot, Glossy Black-Cockatoo,
Chestnut-rumped Hylacola, Scarlet Honeyeater, Wandering Whistling-Duck (Sale),
Southern Emu-wren, Grey (Grey) Goshawk, Black-faced Monarch, Tawney Crowned and
Crescent Honeyeater, Little and Fairy Tern, Cicadabird (heard), Brown Gerygone,
several grey morph Eastern Reef Heron, Hooded Plover, and White-headed Pigeon.

A range of other interesting birds were seen including most of the
south-eastern Australian specialities, such as Lyrebird, Satin Bowerbird,
Eastern Whipbird, Bassian Thrush, Wonga Pigeon, Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo,
Pied Currawong, Olive-backed Oriole, Leaden and Satin Flycatchers, Spotted
Quail-thrust, Powerful Owl (heard), Noisy Friarbird, White-bellied Sea-eagle,
Azure Kingfisher, both oystercatcher, Shy Albatross and Eastern Curlew.

One bird that I had hoped to see was the Eastern Bristlebird - and I also kept
a sharp lookout for Large-billed Scrubwren. In regards to the Eastern
Bristlebird, I visited Green Cape and was told by a ranger who is involved in
the bristlebird count that they were no longer found in this area i.e. around
the lighthouse. This was most likely caused by fire disturbance. She did
mention that there were perhaps 200 birds at Nadgee, but aside from this Jervis
Bay/Barren Ground etc. I was planning to visit Nadgee - but you now have to
walk in from the ranger's office, approx 10 - 15k, and I was not set up for
this.

Some keys areas are:

1) Shipwreck Creek
Shipwreck creek is a well-known place for birding particularly Ground Parrot.
The heath land here is extremely interesting. I saw 4 Ground Parrot, all about
a kilometre down the Old Coast Road Walking Track - which leads of from the
'Heathland Walk'. I flushed these at dawn, but also saw a bird in the afternoon
next to the track. Southern Emu-wren is also common here. A Chestnut-rumped
Hylacola was seen on a short track (that lead to the cliff face) that branches
from the very beginning of the Heathland Walk. The walk to Seal Creek contains
some of the best coastal heath that I've seen - and included Tawney Crowned
Honeyeater and Southern EW. The small and delightful beach at Seal Creek
contains a pair of Hooded Plover.

The dominant tree here is the extremely attractive Bloodwood Gum, which as the
name suggests is almost blood red, and bleeds sap to the ground. Also beware of
the Goanna's around the campsite - they are extremely belligerent (if not
dangerous) - their claws are extremely sharp!! Please note that campsite
bookings are essential during peak periods although they do have an over-night
campsite.

2) Around Mallacoota
I did not get to visit the beaches in the area much - far too many people! But
outside the season it would be well worth some beach walking and boating etc. I
went to both Shady Gully and Double Creek looking for Scarlet Honeyeater. I had
an excellent view at Shady (perhaps 4 feet away) of a pair with a young chick
wedged in a the fork of a small tree, plus several other birds in the Melaleuca
armillaris - as mentioned by Peter Lansley - on the roadside on edge of Coulls
Inlet. A woderful call. (Please note the best way to access Shady Gully is from
Lakeside Dr.) I did not see any birds at Double Creek, but Lyrebird are very
numerous here. The area around the aerodrome is quite interesting. Also waders
(i.e. Eastern Curlew) at Betka Bridge.

3) Wallagaraugh
This was a good place for the south-eastern Australian specialties, especially
along a track which leads along the Wallagaraugh River. It's entrance is just
to the left of the entrance to Wallagaraugh Camp Site. There's a gate which
states "Keep out - wilderness reserve" (or something like that); this is
obviously designed to deter people generally, but according to the Wallagaraugh
campsite owner, bird watchers are most welcome. The track follows the
river/estuary, and was teaming with birds particularly at dawn. Lyrebird,
Black-faced Monarch, Satin Bowerbird, Eastern Whipbird, Bassian Thrush, Wonga
Pigeon, Pied Currawong, Crescent Honeyeater, Olive-backed Oriole, Leaden and
Satin Flycatchers, Brown Gerygone, Spotted Quail-thrust, and Azure Kingfisher
were all present.  Cicadabird was also heard calling.

Lookout for Glossy Black Cockatoo - I saw them on the drive down to the
campsite, an area full of Casuarina and big gums.

Note that the campsite at Wallagaraugh is well worth staying at, especially if
you cannot get into one of the other campsites in Croajingalong - and is worth
staying just for this walk!

4) Green cape - and Ben Boyd National
Another well-known bird place, particularly the lighthouse for Pelagics. Shy
Albatross and Mutton-birds were seen, but on a good day this place would be
great. When I was there it was hot and windy! Very Windy!!  Instead of staying
at one of the main campsites ie Bittangabee (which is good for Ground Parrot) I
stayed at a fantastic campsite just outside the park. It's wedged between the
Wood mill and the old Davidson Whaling Station. To get there, go down the
Whaling Station road and turn right just before you get to the Whaling Station.
It's apparently 'owned' by the local aborigines, and is an excellent spot for
birds i.e. Grey Goshawk, Reef Heron, Bowerbird, Whipbird, Black-faced Monarch,
oystercatcher etc.

5) Tathra/ Mimosa Rocks area generally
I actually stayed with relative in a small place call Tanja - exremely
picturesque. In general this area is well worth visiting, particularly to see
the Cabbage patch palm forests, which are intermingled with Spotted Gum. This
areas good for a range of birds, such as Brown Gerygone and Black-faced
Monarch. Specifically, a pair of Hooded Plovers on Middle Beach, lots of
honeyeater, Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo and White-bellied Sea-eagle. A Little
Tern colony on the beach at the mouth of the Mogareka River, near Tathra -
Fairy Tern are also present. Across the Doctor George Road (Bega to Tanja) is a
good place to see White-headed Pigeon, and someone suggested Brown Cuckoo-dove?

After staying at Tanja, I headed back to Melbourne the long way - through
Kosciuszko National Park, staying at Geehi. Although I did not see much
bird-life in my over-night stay this was a truly magnificent campsite. It faced
the Kosciuszko mountain range some 1700 feet above you and sided by a lovely
stream. A very good place for owls - Powerful and Boobook were heard. I'll
definitely go back there for another look.

The last stop (very brief) was Chiltern NP, which was hot and sticky, but did
manage to see a Collared Sparrowhawk and some Brown Treecreeper.

One final note: my new Minox 10x42 behaved exceptionally well, and are a very
good option when put beside Lieca and Zeiss. (I'd be interested in other
people's opinion on these binoculars). [Cost: between $1200 and $1500 - so as
always, shop around.]

Hope this makes good reading, and is of some assistance for future and past
travellers. All the best,

Tim

Tim Dolby
Dept of Bus and E-com