birding-aus

Painted Snipe, Hoary-headed Grebes

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Painted Snipe, Hoary-headed Grebes
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 13:39:47 +1000
It's pretty dry in the Lockyer Valley just now and Seven Mile Lagoon is
presently no more than a grazed paddock, with much livestock but close to no
birdlife, certainly no water birds - given that there's no water!

The Red-necked Avocet population has relocated to Lake Dyer, along with much
else.

Trevor & Kym Ford and Neil Bowman were here at the weekend, and headed back
to the coast via Lake Dyer yesterday (Sunday), where Trevor found a group of
four Painted Snipe. Earlier he turned up two well-plumaged Hoary-headed
Grebes in the Lockyer Waters area.

Plum-headed Finches are quite regular along local roadsides where there is
plenty of seeding grass for them.

But the creek is so low that we've got Black-fronted Dotterels nesting where
we would otherwise expect platypus. Neil was watching the parent bird
immersing herself in the creek just a few metres from the nest, then coming
back feathers laden with water to cool the eggs. A funny sort of incubation!

I'll see if I can locate the Painted Snipe this-afternoon and report back.

Bill Jolly

"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email:
Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056