birding-aus

Maleny sightings

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Maleny sightings
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:08:13 +1100
Have seen some interesting birds here in past couple of days.Started on Thurs.evening driving home, about a kilometer outside town I spied a rail on the roadside looking anxiously to cross the busy road.Turned around and found an adult Buff-banded Rail acting as traffic monitor to another adult and three juveniles.The group finally made it safely to the other side(this time) but I did notice that a fourth fledgling had met its maker in the same spot a few days earlier.
             We have some eucalypts in full blossom at the moment close to the house.Rainbow and Scaly-breasted Lorikeets are regulars and were feeding-up when in flew five Little Lorikeets. This is my first sighting of LL in the valley in the 7 years here, and they're certainly not a common bird on the Sunshine Coast in my experience.They've returned every day since just before dusk.Also partaking of the nectar were Lewin's, Scarlet and Brown Honeyeaters,Little Wattlebird whilst a White-throated Gerygone flicked through the lower branches.
            Spooked a Rufous Night-heron at Gardners Falls and saw two groups of 12 White-throated Needletails over the carpark at Mary Caincross Park.Once inside the rainforest saw Logrunner, heard the ever-present Woompoo Pigeon and the late-summer Rose-crowned Fruitdoves.But the highlight was finally seeing ,in good light and for a good few minutes a Russet Ground -Thrush. Now I'd seen Zoothera sps.any number of times in this Park but had never been able to convince myself they were any different to White's Thrush I'd seen in my earlier birding days in SA. But this time ,for the first time, I felt sure enough to claim it.
      Was rewarded on the way out by a sighting of a female Richmond's Birdwing.

          Russ Lamb, Maleny,SEQ