birding-aus

RFI: Whickham Point

To: "Robert Inglis" <>, <>
Subject: RFI: Whickham Point
From: "The Dam Lamb Service Clan" <>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 09:45:38 +1100
Bob,
        As Jill D. has indicated, Wickham Point is at Caloundra between
King's and Shelley beaches and is more commonly known as Caloundra Headland.
         The report in the Birds Qld. Newsletter was of a sighting made by
one of the Qld. Twitch teams, "Wandering Gang-Gangs" (Robyn Howard, Robin,
and myself).We'd gone to Shelley Beach to score the Sooty Oystercatcher and
Eastern Reef Egret (I have the southern end of Shelly Beach as an Atlas
habitat site) and moved around the headland to see what else was there.
That's the only time I've seen Wandering Tattler there but we wern't
surprised as it's prime WT habitat, verymuch the same as Point Cartwright
and Alexandra Headland further north where WT are regularlly found.

    I wouldn't say Wickham Point is a prime birding spot, its usually quiet
with few species but remarkably consistent for the reef egret (I've seen
both white and grey there) and both oystercatchers.It would probably be good
for seabird spotting in heavy on-shore stormy weather though is somewhat
protected from ocean blows by the northern end of Moreton Island, and not
likely to be as productive as Point Lookout on North Straddie.

    Bob, you should pick-up WT on the rocks out from the lagoon ("Pete's
Puddle") and the end of Anzac Avenue.(You could then visit the Fishbowl ,if
you dare!! Sorry,local Redcliffe Peninsula joke)

     Russ Lamb, Maleny, SEQ