birding-aus

FW: [OB] Another poaching effort at BBNP

To: "SABIRDNET" <>, "BIRDCHAT" <>, "Birding-Aus" <>, "EBN" <>, "Ukbirdnet" <>
Subject: FW: [OB] Another poaching effort at BBNP
From: "Gruff Dodd" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 07:19:32 -0000
This was recently posted onto Oriental Bird-net, concerning poaching at the
Bali Myna reintroduction programme at Bali Barat National Park in Indonesia.
It seems that not content with virtually wiping these birds out in the wild,
poachers are now resorting to stealing birds from the captive breeding
cages.

The latest effort was foiled, but not before the bird keeper, Komang Astika,
suffered gunshot wounds.

A sobering lesson to us all about what some people are having to put up with
in their efforts to protect the planet's wildlife - I'm sure that messages
of support and solidarity to  would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.

GRUFF DODD
Barri, Cymru/Wales