birding-aus

Two Tides a day

To: Irene <>
Subject: Two Tides a day
From: Ian May <>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 15:27:28 +1030
g'Day Irene and others.

Tidal movement in some areas are not quite as straight forward as the
theoretical model suggests.   Now some might argue this
subject is off topic.   But if one relates tidal movement to wader watching
along the Kimberley coast and then considers what
might happen to the observer if a 8 m. tide comes in when you expect it to ebb,
it may still be worth reading about tides, that
is unless one is a strong swimmer or prefers to hunt crocodiles rather than
birds.

At Cape Londonderry, the most northern point of mainland Western Australia,
when the tide is near high on the eastern side of the
Cape, only 25 km to the west at Cape Talbot, it is near low tide.  The actual
difference is about 4 hours and this tidal
variation in such close proximity generates notoriously strong currents and
rough seas around this Cape, especially when wind is
blowing against the tide. (compare tide tables for Leseuer Island with Geranium
Harbour)

When flying over Cape Londonderry at spring tide peaks, this phenomenon is
easily observed.   Large areas of exposed sand flats
are visible around the Drysdale River estuary near low tide when, in the same
field of vision, water on the west side of the Cape
can be seen lapping the high water line on the sandstone rocks

Another example of opposite tides occurring simultaneously within the same
region is found either side of the Joseph Bonaparte
Gulf; comparing Darwin @ S 12.28', E 130.51' (Time Zone -09.30 within Timor sea
influence) with Cape Voltaire (Krait Bay) @ S
14.15', E 125.36' (Time Zone -08.00 within Indian Ocean influence).

Why do we observe two opposite tides in the same region, when the model
suggests that gravitational and centrifugal influences on
tidal movement in any region should be uniform and result in mainly two bulges
of water being high tides that follow the moon
across the surface of our planet.

Regards

Ian May

PO Box 666