birding-aus

Kangaroo Island

Subject: Kangaroo Island
From: Alkirna Tours <>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 17:43:33 +1030
Hi Everybody

The mention of Powerful Owls as a possible control measure for the over population of native marsupials on KI has provoked quite a deal of discussion. At the risk of being classified as a bit of a screwball another option to try and restore some semblance of balance in the KI environment could be to RE introduce Tasmanian Devils and quolls into the bushland here.

I have lived on KI for over ten years working at times for National Parks and mostly in the eco-tourism field. The estimated population of Tammar Wallabies on KI according to an Adelaide University researcher is somewhere between 500 000 and 1 000 000 a gross overpopulation caused by the conversion of about 55% of the islands original 100% bushland to farmland. If one inspects bushland adjacent to farmland where large numbers of wallabies and kangaroos feed at night the bushland is severely damaged due to the large numbers of animals resting, browsing  and just breaking down the native vegetation in that area.

I have driven around a farmers stubble paddock at night and observed in a few minutes 25 or more Brush-tailed Possums foraging on the ground across the stubble and generally across the island there are huge numbers of possums. The biggest single factor in the decline of the Glossy Black Cockatoo has been shown to be predation by BT Possums on eggs and nestling young, just excluding possums from every GB Cockatoo nest that could be found on the island led to an approximate fourfold increase in the numbers of young fledging. The effect of possums on GB Cockatoos was noticed because of the birds are such an obvious species. If predation by possums is having such a massive impact on GB Cockatoos then it would be almost certain that predation by possums would be impacting on many other bird species on the island.

The behaviour of BT Possums here is very noticeably different to on the mainland, on KI the possums spend much of their time foraging on the ground, climbing trees to feed or when startled. This would appear to be due to the total absence of predators at ground level for the possums during the night, whereas on the mainland there were thylacines followed by dingoes followed by foxes.

Bones collected from caves on KI show that in the past Tasmanian Devils, Eastern Quolls and Spotted Tailed Quolls had lived here but had apparently died out before Europeans arrived. The extreme overpopulation of wallabies and BT Possums on the island could potentially be pushed back towards a more balanced situation by the injection of some native predators into the equation. Obviously a very close look would need to be taken at the repercussions that may occur  with other native species here but I think it would be foolish to reject the idea just because those predators were not present when Europeans arrived in 1802. Kangaroo Island is a very different place today to what it was in 1802.

Just a short comment re Koalas, the species of eucalypts that are being wiped out are specifically the varieties that Koalas are foraging on and non target eucalypts adjacent are in apparently perfect condition. Yes the trees will regrow their leaves, I have watched Manna Gums stripped and then soon as some new leaves appear Koalas are again in the tree stripping off the flush of new growth giving the tree no time to recover in due course the trees were dead.  It is not uncommon to see 5 Koalas in one tree of the favored varieties, when suggestions are that a Koala needs more than 30 large eucalypts to be able to forage sustainably. I doubt that intoduction of any native predators would help control Koalas, if we do not cull them it is highly likely we will see the wiping out of the varieties of large eucalypts favored by the Koalas, thousands of Koalas starving to death and the loss of the habitat that many other species depend on.

I am uncertain what impact Devils and Quolls would have on  the plague of feral cats we have here, they could possibly help reduce cat numbers by competition and predation?

Cheers
Ken Grinter

E-mail: