birding-aus

Killing of swans damaging to eco-tourism in Malta

Subject: Killing of swans damaging to eco-tourism in Malta
From: "david camilleri" <>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:24:06 -0500
Web posted on January 31, 2002 at 09:00:00 CET

Killing of swans damaging to eco-tourism

Staff Reporter

A committee charged with promoting eco-tourism to Malta has said that illegal hunting could damage the tourism industry. The Co-ordinating Committee on Eco-tourism Year 2002 was set up jointly by the Tourism Minister and the Environment Minister.

In a statement on Tuesday the committee said: "The recent horrific shooting of mute swans at St Thomas? Bay on 20 January, which has left the majority of Maltese seething with anger, is the culmination of a series of damaging incidents to the tourism industry."

Furthermore the committee said it ?views with dismay the effects of illegal hunting on our valued tourism industry?. The co-ordinating committee has urged the authorities to ?redouble their efforts by applying the existing law on illegal hunting more rigorously and to take all the steps necessary to reduce the adverse effects of hunting and trapping, including the harassment of tourists by hunters and trappers on public property, on Malta?s tourism industry?."

These actions are incompatible with the needs of a vital part of Malta?s economy and run contrary to the whole spirit of eco-tourism which seeks to respect nature in all its manifestations,? concluded the statement.

http://www.independent.com.mt/daily/newsview.asp?id=6808

Web posted on January 31, 2002 at 09:00:00 CET

Stupid hunters need educating

What a terrible story about the stupid, unthinking shooting of Mute Swans in St Thomas? Bay. These men should be punished to the full extent of the law and an education programme should be implemented throughout Malta to try and prevent such stupid actions occurring in the future. I have read of many other unnecessary shootings of birds in Malta and I think it is time that the government took action by increasing penalties and educating people about the damage that is being caused to the environment and the bad publicity that will surely affect tourism and the economy of your country.

Doug Holly

Berri, Australia

http://www.independent.com.mt/daily/lettersview.asp?id=1611

Web posted on January 31, 2002 at 09:00:00 CET

Outlaw this cruel ?sport?

Whilst the killing of the swans appears to have received a degree of publicity both here in the UK and in Malta, the general public in Malta should be aware that this is the tip of a rather large iceberg. Killing of birds of all types takes place across your islands in a number of barbaric and cruel ways in the name of ?sport?. The Maltese government must recognise and act upon this outdated relic by legislating against it and providing the police with a mandate, materials and manpower to curb these sick practices. Until then, there will be many like me who will avoid Malta as a holiday destination.

Alan Tilmouth

Northumberland, England

http://www.independent.com.mt/daily/lettersview.asp?id=1612

Web posted on January 31, 2002 at 09:00:00 CET

Stop animal cruelty

It was truly sad to hear about the brutal killing of the swans. What happened is shameful and the authorities should make sure that those responsible are punished. I just hope that our courts will see that justice is done. Such a crime needs a punishment more severe than a mere fine. It is good that many organisations have condemned this barbaric act, but we need action not words; what are we going to do about animal cruelty in Malta? We are reaching a point where animal cruelty in Malta is becoming intolerable.

Angelo Micallef

Marsaxlokk, Malta

http://www.independent.com.mt/daily/lettersview.asp?id=1614

Web posted on January 31, 2002 at 09:00:00 CET

Draconian measures needed to stop hunting

When will you, the people and government of Malta, do something about the tragic and very public slaying of Mute Swans in front of innocent children and tourists. My disgust at the barbaric extent to which hunters in Malta will go knows no bounds. This is a particularly brutal and unnecessary killing that requires severe penalties, including custodial sentences for illegal hunting and trapping. The people and government of Malta seem to be ignoring the fact that the police need to be ordered to tackle the continuing problem of this barbaric and outmoded so-called ?sport?. Such bad publicity will hit tourism long and hard, the only remedy to this will be to be seen on the international public stage applying Draconian measures to control all firearms. I have not visited Malta for many years and have no intention of doing so while such events take place. Malta is considered to be a pariah for anyone who cares about animal welfare and conservation. The newspaper, radio, Internet and television coverage throughout Europe of this barbaric act has done even more damage to the already tarnished image that Malta has gained over the last few years. When the birds have all gone, what will the bloodlust of these thugs turn to next ? sheep, goats, dogs, cats, people? Heaven forbid that Malta ever experiences the attacks on children that happen in societies where guns are available to almost everyone. It is time for the Maltese government to do what we did in the United Kingdom and confiscate all non-essential automatic firearms and handguns.

Michael Fitzgibbons

Sheffield, UK

http://www.independent.com.mt/daily/lettersview.asp?id=1616

Web posted on January 31, 2002 at 09:00:00 CET

Bird killers are damaging the country

I really must write and express my anger and disappointment at the continued killing of wild birds in Malta. This has culminated in the recent events in which Mute Swans and rare Red-breasted Geese were brutally and unnecessary killed. You must do all you can to stir your readers and the ?silent majority? in Malta to demand urgent action on enforcement of the law. These actions will have a bad effect on tourism. I for one will not consider visiting until things have greatly improved, and I will make sure friends and relatives also know of the presently disgraceful situation. How this affects Malta?s application to join the EU I hesitate to guess, but it suggests your enforcement of EU obligations in this area will be negligible.

Peter Reed

York, UK

http://www.independent.com.mt/daily/lettersview.asp?id=1617

Web posted on January 30, 2002 at 09:00:00 CET

Stop the bullying

I was terribly shocked when I watched the news and saw pictures of Mute Swans all covered in blood. In fact they had been shot in cold blood, yes in cold blood, because these swans were doing no harm. I can imagine what those people who were enjoying a sunny afternoon at the bay felt when they saw beautiful, graceful swans flying over and then resting in the water. Their enjoyment did not last long, as the majestic swans were reduced to a heap of feathered carcasses smeared with blood. All this for the enjoyment of barbarians, terrorists, cowboys, bullies; many names fit them, except for human. Are these the values of Maltese people? I hope not; in fact I do not think so. The majority of Maltese people abhor these cruel and barbaric acts. I thank those people who reported this massacre to the police, and also to the police and the Armed Forces for their quick action. But now what? Of course any accused has a lawyer and asks for bail, as is their right, although that right was not given to the swans, but what then? Will they be given a suspended sentence, or a Lm10 or Lm20 fine, before the whole thing is forgotten? When are our politicians going to join forces and provide tough penalties for such acts of cruelty? They should also see that these penalties are handed down to whoever committed these atrocities. I think it is time to at least try and stop this bullying. I will not pretend that the two main political parties have the same ideals, God forbid that they did, but I do expect both parties to agree that law and order is respected, and when need be harsh penalties dished out. I am not talking about parking tickets here, but about bullying. Recently we heard about a number of people attacking police inside a police car; we heard of a person who went into a government school and beat the headmaster; and now we have cowboys driving a speedboat into a bay full of people, with guns in their hands, and shooting beautiful birds who were only resting. The birds were giving pleasure to those watching them, but the so-called sportsmen had different ways of enjoying themselves; by pulling the trigger of a shotgun. Is this not bullying? If the authorities agree that it is, let us not wait any longer. We should get together and act now before something more tragic occurs.

Joseph Muscat

Mosta,  Malta.

Click on the link to read the full article
http://www.independent.com.mt/daily/lettersview.asp?id=1609

Web posted on January 30, 2002 at 09:00:00 CET

Swan massacre

Animal rights activists condemn the swan massacre as a merciless and unnecessary killing of innocent life. Environmentalists condemn the swan massacre as a killing of a protected species. Law abiders condemn the swan massacre as the downright breaking of a law, unashamedly performed in front of dozens of onlookers. Those who care about the safety of their children condemn the swan massacre for the danger these ?men? posed to their children by shooting close to them. Those who care about the tourism industry condemn the swan massacre as a huge stain on Malta?s image abroad. Yet this is not the first time this has happened, and it will happen again, unless the present laws are urgently revised and tougher penalties are imposed for such and other cases of animal cruelty. If this is not done as soon as possible, more animals will be killed, more people will be put in danger, and more tourists will boycott Malta as their holiday destination. If animal rights are not a major concern of many Maltese politicians, tourism should be, since it is one of the major industries in Malta. Let the government be reminded that nowadays news travels fast, and people from all over the world know what happens in Malta at a touch of a computer keyboard button.
The present laws are no deterrent. Less talk...tougher penalties!

Kenneth Cassar

Marsascala

Click on the link to read the full article
http://www.independent.com.mt/daily/lettersview.asp?id=1606