birding-aus

Ash Island/Hunter River observations

Subject: Ash Island/Hunter River observations
From: Arron Davies <>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 13:48:01 -0800 (PST)
I dont know whether these constitute unusual
observations or not, so I will post them anyway. In
any case, they were ticks for me.

Yesterday I was in the vicinity of Newcastle (NSW).

There was an adult banded stilt at Ash Island. It was
among a group of several hundred black winged stilts
and avocets, just west of the spot known for the
occasional presence of a yellow wagtail.

The unusually high tide had concentrated many waders
on the dykes by the Stockton bridge. Among them was
about a dozen black tailed godwits. The number of
avocets roosting there must now number into the
thousands - far too many for me to contemplate
counting.

There were 6 white winged black terns on the second
port lead (large red shipping buouy) near the mouth of
Newcastle Harbour (boat or scope needed for that one).

Many thanks to Alan Morris for previously providing me
with an introduction to these areas.

By the way, has the yellow wagtail been reported again
this summer ???

Arron