birding-aus

Owls on KI

To: Tony Russell <>
Subject: Owls on KI
From: John Gamblin <>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 20:21:54 -0800 (PST)
G'day Tony and All,

Nothing like a severe lack of information on the part
of the boffins to make them, the boffins, go crazy and
relocate anything and everything eh?

IF? they are going to setup another colony of owls on
KI then under what guise? and for whom? have the
boffins contacted many of the "Koala Care" groups that
abound in this beaut land? we need them, the Koala
Care groups because we the humans are doing NO damage
to our national cuddley dudley emblem are we?

Looks like someone has told the boffins cut back on
the phone calls, eh?

I totally agree with Tony Russell and if I could
scream at those concerned to contact Chris Baxter or
David Paxton, apologies in advance? but I think that
was the very learned gentlemans name, either that or
it was a bad pronounciation on the world's best
Ozbeeb? so that a greater amount of knowledge could be
gained on this subject.

Try http://home.vicnet.net.au/~folklaw/koala.html

Peter Waanders off shaking my head in disbelief. Mind
you I've heard the crayfish on KI are quite nice?
perhaps that's it? the boffins want to improve and
change the Powerful Owl diet???????

John A. Gamblin
Tony Russell <> wrote:

All this current chat about introducing Powerful Owls
to Kangaroo Island as a possible Koala control measure
got me reaching for my Annotated list of the Birds of
KI by Chris Baxter .. The book lists Barn Owls,
Boobooks, Tawny Frogmouth, and Owlet Nightjar (not all
owls as such, but owly type birds) as being present on
the island, not that any of these could pose much of a
threat to a Koala.

I certainly concur with the Barn Owl listing having
been scared out of my wits (briefly) by one swooping
and screeching just over my head one night whilst out
looking for Bush Stone Curlews.

How many of you have caught up with David Paton's
latest suggestion that it may not be the Koala at all
which is extensively damaging trees as was at first
thought - hence the culling idea? He has detected that
the tree damage may be attributable to a fungal
infection and that the Koalas are not the culprits.

This was on the box a couple of nights ago (I missed
it but was told about it).

Tony