birding-aus

Sudden-death at tennis

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Sudden-death at tennis
From: "Bill Moorhead" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 10:16:41 +1000
Dear all,
Saw that Welcome Swallow??on the news and
couldn't help but have a laugh.

I'd like to recall an incident in Tasmania a couple
 of years ago regarding a "hit bird".

We were driving near Port Arthur and the car in front
cleaned up a fully coloured male Superb Fairy-wren.
Absolutely thumped the poor thing.We turned around
 and went back to show the kids up close just how
 beautiful they are.It was as lifeless as visably possible.
Sally our then 5 year old insisted on nursing it in a tissue.
We drove off and a considerable time later arrived at
 our campsite.Time for our burial I said to Sal and she said
that he's fine......Sure enough;still groggy he stumbled
around eventually flying off.

Lesson being that birds can cop massive blows and survive.
Lots of window hit birds survive so maybe a 150km per hour
 tennis ball only stunned the little fella.......hope they gave that
 swallow a chance before ditching him in the bin!

All the best,

Bill