birding-aus

Bird Lists

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Bird Lists
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 01:13:14 +1000
Thanks to Bob Forsyth for his persistent tracking of these things, and for
others who have put lists online, the Birding-Aus website will soon have a
section devoted to LISTS.  Most of the lists will remain on their compilers'
sites (for copyright reasons essentially) but you will be able to follow a
link to each State list as well as some other Aussie lists provided by sites
around the web.

I intend to make the Australian List available in a number of formats.  This
is what I'm assembling at the moment.

HTML (for viewing online)
Tab-delimted text
Word 97 (Windows)
Word 6 (Windows/Mac)
Word 2001 (Mac)
Excel 97 (Windows)
Excel 6 (Windows/Mac)
Excel 2001 (Mac)
Filemaker Pro (Windows/Mac)

Sorry, can't do MS Access - but if you use that you can import from most of
these - FoxPro and Dbase users will be clever enough to figure it out for
themselves!  Is there another format I've overlooked?

I will use Christidis & Boles (1994) plus additions approved by BARC unless
someone convinces me there is a better way.  I can't believe how many
different 'versions' of the Australian list are out there.

For the Geelong region, and a few other places, I have a number of lists in
hardcopy (remember paper?) that I will transfer to the site when I get time.
If anyone else has local and regional birdlists online, please let me know
and I'll link to your site.

At this stage I don't have a NSW list - but there is a better solution for
this state.  The NSW Atlas of Wildlife is online and fully searchable - you
can even draw your own survey area onto a map on the site - and covers
birds, mammals, herps, etc.  It's at http://wildlifeatlas.npws.nsw.gov.au/
and is VERY addictive!

Comments would be welcome - I'll start putting lists online in a week or so,
but they won't all appear magically at once!  Please be patient, or help out
by sending me your favourite list or a link to it.

Cheers

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner

http://www.shc.melb.catholic.edu.au/home/birding/