birding-aus

Buff-banded Rails in Canberra

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Buff-banded Rails in Canberra
From: "Paul Taylor" <>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 22:18:55 +1100
After a quick visit to the Fyshwick Sewage Treatment Works to see what
was about (two pairs of Blue-billed Ducks, including a small tiff between
the males), I drove back to Civic via Fairbairn Ave.  As I passed Hopkins
Drive (locked gate on the left), I spotted what looked like a rail or
crake on the left hand side of the road.  I turned the car around to have
another look, and was rewarded with seeing an adult Buff-banded Rail and
two more youngsters run from the wet drainage ditch on the side of the
road, under the fence and into the small wetland.  The fence is a pipe
and steel mesh construction; the spot where I saw them is where a pipe
upright is bent sideways.  These were the first Buff-banded Rails I've
seen in the ACT, so I was most pleased.  :-)