birding-aus

Bird Banding - A Mystery Revealed

Subject: Bird Banding - A Mystery Revealed
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2002 21:15:14 +1100 (EST)
On Sat, 19 Jan 2002, Marilyn Davis wrote:
> My view on this is that, despite his misinformed accusations about me and
> others being the same person and of which he says he and others have
> overwhelming evidence, Peter is probably a good bloke. In this instance, we
> should give him as owner of the suspect email address, the benefit of the
> doubt and assume that the offending message was not sent by him to birding
> aus by mistake and is indeed from a "Hacker" attempting to discredit him.

There is no need to doubt Peter at all - the message header indicates
it was not from Peter, either accidentally or deliberately.  As Russell
said, it was an forgery, an unsophisticated forgery.

And to be crystal clear, I'm certainly not suggesting Marilyn Davis was
involved in any way.

Kiran indicated that e-mail was easy to forge and first year computing
students know how - that is not quite the whole story.  It requires some
knowledge and care to make a forgery untraceable.  I've traced forged
e-mail sent by first year computing students.  They didn't enjoy the
consequent interview.

I certainly wouldn't recommend committing crimes using forged e-mail,
you are likely to have an early morning visit from the federal police.

Andrew Taylor