birding-aus

Re: Are you .....?

To: Penn Gwynne <>
Subject: Re: Are you .....?
From: Kiran Krishna <>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 20:32:44 +1100 (EST)
Dear Penn,

  I don't see how what I want to be is any of your business. My interest
is more in particle physics than in nuclear physics, but while on the
topic, we might well note that that is the industry that cures a good
number of cancers, provides less pollutive energy. I do not purport
however to be able to be able to set right every dunce who has been
educated far beyond his capacities to undertake rational analysis. So, I
don't know that it will help you. I do think, though, that you should
stop knocking your pate. The place has been long abandoned, and your
flippers must be getting tired.

Kiran
On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Penn Gwynne wrote:

> G'day Kiran,
>
> I think I'll make your day? but before I speed off,
> could I by chance? ask you? are you purporting to be a
> nuclear physicist? that's thee industry that leaves
> open air radioactive liquid waste ponds in South
> Australia isn't it?
>
> Sincerely and nearly D parted just for your benefit,
> John Arnold Gamblin (father of Pen Gwynne)

> Kiran Krishna <> wrote:
>
> Dear Kym,
>
> 15% is closer to 1/7th. Pardon the approximation. But
> you still have proved nothing. It should be noted that
> anything that has a minor effect on a large population
> will have a disastrous one on a smaller population.
> Therefore, if there has been something (anything at
> all: Say a disease, or a reduction in habitat, or, as
> an example, a sudden increase in the number of a
> certain bird hunted) that struck the population of
> Little Terns as a whole, the banded Little Terns,
> which form a small part of the entire set will
> experience a
> greater effect.
>
> If I may be allowed an analogy, something similar
> happened with Aboriginal Deaths in Custody. The
> problem was not (or not only) racism, it was a larger
> problem with the law, and law enforcement. However,
> since proportionally, the Aborigines formed a small
> part of the population, they are much more susceptible
> to the resulting effects. Similarly, if one monitors
> radioactivity, one finds that the smaller the time of
> data collection, the greater the odd ones out (It
> takes a while for the background to be eliminated).
> This is a property of Poisson Ian statistics, which
> has a hump around the 0.
>
> Likewise with flagged birds.
>
> Without absolute numbers, detailed study, and a
> comparison of proportions, it is not really fair to
> assert a statistical conclusion.
>
> Kiran

> Kiran Krishna
> 3rd yr physics
> (Falkiner High Energy Physics)
> University of Sydney
> NSW 2006

> http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/

Kiran Krishna
3rd yr physics
(Falkiner High Energy Physics)
University of Sydney
NSW 2006

Liberty is not a means to a higher political end. It is itself the highest
political end.
                - Lord Acton

Both liberty abd property are precarious, unless the posessors have sense
and spirit enough to defend them.
                - Junius (Philip Francis Jr)

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/hienergy

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~kiran