birding-aus

Royal National Park south of Sydney

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Royal National Park south of Sydney
From: "J & N Russill" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:43:50 +1100
15/1/02 Post fires, we were pleased with the Wattle Flat area, possibly
expecting the worst and yet finding birds, unburnt areas and regrowth
already was a great surprise.   Wonderful rain was falling, towards the end
of our two hours it was very heavy! torrential!,  what a great thing!  The
Brush Turkey was at the picnic area, doing the rounds! the mound at the
opposite end (turn left instead of right when coming in over the white
bridge) is half burnt away!   On our walk birds seen were Darter, Great,
Lt.Black.& Lt. Pied Cormorants, Black Ducks, Wood Ducks, Brush Turkey, Dusky
Moorhens, A'asian Grebes, Silver Gulls, Brown & Wonga Pigeons,
S.C.Cockatoos, Brush & Fan-tailed Cuckoos, Azure & Sacred Kingfishers,
Kookaburra, Dollar birds, Superb Lyrebird, Welcome Swallows, Sup.
Fairywrens, Brown Gerygones, Yellow & Brown Thornbills, White-browed,
Yellow-throated and Large-billed Scrubwrens, Pilotbird, Estn  Yellow Robins,
Grey & Rufous Fantails, Willie Wagtails, Leaden Flycatchers, Black-faced
Monarchs, Golden Whistlers, Grey Shrike-Thrush, Crested Shrike-tits, Estn.
Whipbirds several groups feeding immature birds (great repertoire of calls
from the young ones),White-throated Treecreepers, Silvereye, Lewin's,
Yellow-faced & White-naped Honeyeaters, Estn. Spinebills, Olive-backed
Orioles, Mudlarks, Magpies, Ravens, Satin Bowerbirds & Pied Currawongs.  We
had planned to cover more areas but the torrential rain put us off!, and not
one drop had fallen here at Peakhurst when we got home!.    Best wishes to
all       Judi & Neil Russill